Tuesday, November 29, 2011

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard


I just read an article from the San Francisco Chronicle about an 8 year old, 200lb boy that got taken away from his mom because he was so obese. “They” consider it a form of medical neglect. He is supposed to weigh an average of 60lbs. I don’t agree with how medical professionals calculate obesity using BMI, however, my little brother was recently 8 years old and he did not weigh 200lbs. He was more like 70lbs.
It took 20 months to get to the decision to place him in foster care and the decision was approved by a judge. I agree with their choice. I agree with their choice for several reasons.

The boy has developed sleep apnea. Both my father-in-law and my dad (who are obese, but in a really awesome snuggly type way) have sleep apnea. They have to wear c-pap machines when they sleep. It’s really intense. Do you know what happens with sleep apnea? YOU STOP BREATHING IN YOUR SLEEP!!!!!! THIS MOM LET THIS KID GET SO FAT HE STOPS BREATHING IN HIS SLEEP!!!! He is 8. That’s freaking ridiculous.

Do you know how easy it is for kids/men to lose weight? Seriously, just don’t give the kid refined sugars and not as much carbs. Women have all sorts of “female issues” that interfere with weight loss like hormones and water retention. My husband wanted to lose ten pounds and he just stopped eating sweets for a week and he lost it. Don’t let your kid have candy or processed foods or refined sugar and *GASP* play with him outside for an hour a day (crazy idea I know) and BAM! Your kid loses weight.

Obesity kills. It’s a fact. If you let your kid get that obese, you are killing your kid. Diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure, I mean, the list goes on and on about the effects of obesity on the body. If the body is a child’s body, the effect of all that weight on the skeletal system alone makes my head spin.

If it is a psychological reason why this kid is so obese, or, if the mom is very obese then she needed to get outside help. She had 20 months to do that. That’s almost 2 freaking years. That means this poor freaking kid has been so overweight for that long. That’s just sad. He needs a better chance and if being put in foster care will help him then I am all for it.

After all, if he is in foster care all she has to do is comply with what the court tells the mom to comply with to get him back. I hope she can do it. Seems like her lawyer, Sam Amata, says "We don't feel there's that kind of requisite danger," 

That kind of thinking in and of itself if dangerous, and, that poor kid's quality of life hangs in the balance. Sad. 

And now, to lighten the mood, a picture of my not-obese son, Tank! So adorablez. 


1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you Sarah, if this boy's mother wasn't providing him with the proper nutrition for a child his age, especially when given the opportunity to redeem herself, then yes it was in his best interest to be placed elsewhere. Poor baby, I know how hurtful it is to be away from your mother and I hope she gets her crap together too. I don't understand how such a tiny body frame can carry so much weight. I'm glad someone reached out to help him. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete