Saturday, November 26, 2011

When will the R rated comedy just die already?

My husband is watching a dumb movie. White Chicks. He was watching an Austin Powers movie and I was sitting in the room working on something but then he noticed I wasn't laughing and changed it. I hate both of those movies so I just left.

Sequestered in my office, in silence except for the freezing rain pouring outside I can think. I can think about how I hate where mainstream American Cinema has gone. I think about watching old Black and Whites with my Great Grandma. I think about the Golden Age where movies had plots and substance and made you feel good or made you cry or made you really think.

All of the spy movies of today combined are not as exciting or suspenseful as "Charade" with Audrey Hepburn and Walter Matthau.
All the comedies of today combined are not as funny as "Bringing Up Baby" with Cary Grant and Kathrine Hepburn.

It's just gross in our society that looks are taken over substance almost every single time. T&A is better than quality cinematography. It's disgusting that "we" as a society let the Companies shove this stuff in our faces AND they charge us $10 a person AT LEAST to see this sheesh in the theater.
It's repulsive. It's embarrassing. I feel stupider when I partake.

Plot line of an R rated comedy:

Guys/Girls complain that their life isn't cool or exciting
They Make a plan to make it exciting
They do gross, embarrassing, illegal stuff
Troubles happen because of the "stuff"
They have an adventure to try and fix it
Everybody learns a lesson

I think I just summed up a lot of movies for you. Now, feel free to come over to my house because I'm about to watch "Paris When It Sizzles" on my laptop. We can snuggle and I'll make you a hot chocolate.


1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%. It's pretty sad when you can sum up the majority of American movies with six sentences. :( Lame. I'll come to your house and we'll watch Zelary and rail against the injustices of life.

    ReplyDelete